Thursday, December 5, 2013

Post 2: What is a book?

                    A book is a portal. As in a portal to another world and the author is the creator of that world and you are somehow a spectator of that specific world as time goes by. Books possess traits that involve how the story is built and what type the story then becomes. Sometimes when I think about these traits specific images pop into my mind. Seething would be like pushing your tongue through your teeth and the little bits that go through the little holes that are still in-between your teeth. I imagine happy is like speaking really loudly on the 'a' and only the 'a'. In his "Scribble" piece, Victor LaValle, argues that books as an object are none too special as a being. It is the idea that they are there, and that someone spend almost a whole year writing all they can into the book, and putting all of their ideas into the writing to make it as fun and interesting as it can be for the reader.
          In my opinion, a hardback book is something a little less casual than the paperback book because the image of someone folding the cover back on a paperback book so that only one page appears forces the image into my mind that they are only casually reading the book as a pastime. If I try to imagine someone reading a hardback book, I tend to think that the reader is reading that book in a series and it is the next installment, or the book is something they found and they really, really, really wanted to read. The hardback is something much different from an iPad or kindle (no iPhones here because they are too small to include, and, why would anyone read on a small 4x2" screen?) when I read on my iPad, I imagine it like an average-sized magazine that I can just casually read for an hour or so. I assume the kindle follows suit. The hardback book is something that is a lot more committed. If you read it, you are going to end up reading it for at least two hours.
          It will be hard for someone to forget the different purposes that each type of book offers, I imagine that the e-books will just offer another dimension of book reading and offer things that books do not offer, but in turn books will offer plenty of things that e-books do not offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment